August 25, 2010

round 1

drop spindle in action
After a week of twiddling and fiddling with my new drop spindle, I have some results. Granted, they are nothing extremely amazing or fantastic, but I think they are pretty great considering I've never done this before. I bought a pack of small roving samples from Knit Picks when I ordered my drop spindle. Each color is only 1/4 ounce, so the yarn I spun didn't amount to much. It was actually nicer that way - I was able to start small, see results quickly, and when I got bored with the color it was already time to move on to a new one! Obviously there isn't much use for a ball of yarn that is only about two inches in diameter, so I decided to very cleverly place them in a bowl and have them sitting on my coffee table to remind me of how much I've improved when I become a spinning virtuoso.
I had fun "artfully" photographing these little guys yesterday.
Cindy wanted to help too

So now the very basics of step one have now been accomplished. My next step is to take this beautiful roving that I bought from a local artisan on Etsy and attempt to spin it. It is a lot more than 1/4 of an ounce, so I'm a little nervous about it. Also, it's really pretty and I don't want to fuck it up... cause I tend to do that to pretty things. Wish me luck!

3 comments:

  1. I know exactly what you mean about f***ing things up. I tend to break things. :) Like my friends toys when I was young - and I'm terrible with heirlooms. Plus very rarely does something turn out the way I've imagined.

    Oh well. The few that do keep me going.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the "artsy" picture! It's great!

    P.S. The yarn spinner thingy? It looks like a sword.

    ReplyDelete