November 3, 2010

Num Nums

I have discovered a new favorite food. Grilled cheese sandwiches on pugliese bread. I know what you're thinking - "Mari! What are you doing? You are allergic to cheese! Save yourself!"... but don't worry, I've been making this delicious treat with goat's milk cheddar cheese. It is so delicious that I've eaten it three times in the past week, and would have eaten more but I ran out of bread. I'm going to the store after work today to get more.
Yummy crispy hot melty goodness. It's especially delicious paired with tomato soup and rain.

Another thing I've been eating a lot of lately is this Persian dish my dad used to make a lot when I was younger. I don't know of a fancy Persian name for it, because in my family it's always been called "spinach and eggs". Once again, I know what you're thinking - "Eeww... spinach and eggs? Mixed together?".  Yes. Try it. It's delicious. 
The closest thing I found online that was comparable are this and this (with fancy persian names!), but my father traditionally scrambled the eggs into the spinach instead of serving it on top, and has served it with rice instead of potatoes. 

Here's my take on the recipe:
1/2 Onion - diced
1 bag frozen leaf spinach (fresh is obviously preferred by most people, but I find fresh spinach to be a tad too strong tasting for me)
1 Tablespoon Olive Oil
Garlic Salt
Pepper
4-5 Eggs
White or Brown Rice (cooked and ready to serve)


Saute the onion in a large pan until tender. Add the spinach, salt and pepper and cook until the spinach is hot, delicious, and is taking on the flavor of the salt and pepper. Add the eggs, and stir until the eggs have been throughly mixed in. Stir continuously for a few minutes until the egg is completely cooked, and serve piping hot on top of a bowl of rice.

 Obviously I'm not good at writing recipes...but you get the basic idea. It's a super inexpensive, filling, healthy (especially if made with brown rice) meal that I like to eat fairly often.

Food makes me happy.

No comments:

Post a Comment