January 31, 2012

The Overnight Walk

Twelve years ago, one of my best friends Amaya lost her father to suicide.  I didn't meet her until years later, but I saw how much her loss affected her, and what a struggle it is to cope with the suicide of a loved one. 

This year on June 9th - 10th, I am joining Amaya, her mother, and more of her friends in the Overnight Walk in memory of her father and those lost to suicide. It's 18 miles, overnight, through the street of San Francisco -- all to raise money for the American Foundation for Suicide Prevention. 

Amaya participated in this walk in New York City last year and was shocked to receive as many emails as she did from friends who also lost loved ones to suicide and who battled depression and suicidal thoughts themselves. While I hope I don't get the same responses, if you have lost a loved one or struggle yourself and you're comfortable sharing your stories with me, I'd be honored to hear them. Additionally, the Overnight Walk lines a pathway after the finish line with luminary bags with names/pictures/quotes/drawings of those lost. I'd be happy to give/send you a bag that I can place along the pathway.  

If you would like to learn more about the organization, please visit the ASFP website.

Donations and well wishes are greatly appreciated (especially suggestions about good walking shoes)! If you are able to donate, please visit my DonorDrive page at here. 

No comments:

Post a Comment